srijeda, 6. veljače 2013.

3 Men + Black - Acoustic

3 men are from the Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers, and the Jam; Pauline Black is from the Selecter (and so is Nick Welsh, who does not count as a man, apparently). In 2004 they have decided to release an album containing acoustic renditions of some of their songs (or, in the case of Bruce Foxton, mostly his band partner's songs). I'm sharing this mostly because of Jake Burns's contributions, which are of course heavenly. I'm not a big fan of the Stranglers but JJ Burnel's stuff is also quite cool, and Bruce Foxton sounds quite a bit like Paul Weller - that's not a bad thing though. Pauline Black's songs I'm not so fond of, because while I do love the Selecter, I don't think these versions hold up to the regular ones; it's certainly an experiment, and while it doesn't sound like a successful one to my ears, it might to yours. The ballad "Missing Words" is quite nice, actually; it's the ska stuff that rubs me the wrong way played like this. Anyway, if you're a fan of the Stiff Little Fingers (which you really should be), you absolutely NEED the beautiful Jake Burns and the Big Wheel track "She Grew Up". I also quite like this version of a Stranglers track I'm very partial to, the new wave crossover hit "Skin Deep", and two other JJ Burnel's tracks are quite cool, too - a Hawkwind cover "Quark, Strangeness & Charm" and the funny hoedown "Jelly Fish". All in all, a nice little release!

Jake Burns is the coolest man alive, no contest.

Track listing:

1. Alternative Ulster (3:38)
2. Skin Deep (3:06)
3. That's Entertainment (2:56)
4. On My Radio (3:17)
5. She Grew Up (3:22)
6. Me and You (3:44)
7. Smithers-Jones (2:55)
8. Missing Words (3:50)
9. Harp (2:56)
10. Jelly Fish (1:53)
11. David Watts (2:23)
12. Armagideon Time (3:48)
13. Quark, Strangeness & Charm (2:34)
14. Down in the Tube Station at Midnight (3:29)
15. Three Minute Hero (3:00)
16. Wasted Life (3:33)

Download

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar